Monday, January 23, 2012

A Poem for Audrey

Tiny hands with fingers long,
Touch my face and bring a song.
Tiny mouth with sweet pea hue,
Smile at mommy, bringing dew.

Oh how the fear of God comes now!
For I am given a task so great,
To teach you to love, so you may bow
Before the God, who did all create.

Oh little child, oh daughter mine,
I long to have you love the Sublime.
I fear that I have no power to prove,
Then I remember God must move.

I must only teach and wait,
TO show his love and kindness great.

So on my knees I yearn and beg,
"Oh God, let this dear heart instead,
Turn and make you known to her,
This darling child, let this occur."

"Oh God," I plead, "Dear God."
I cry to him that hears each sigh.
"Oh please, my dearest father Lord,
Let it be said and it be known,
Help me to teach her to understand,
The workings of your mighty hand."

And God, he listens, and God, he cares,
And in my heart his peace is there.
And one day, I hope he'll let her know,
And by his grace the seed we'll sow,
The truth of Christ. Oh little heart!
The sweetest work of living art.

No comments: