Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Reflections from Childhood

I used to sit
Beneath the magnolia tree
In my mother's garden.
I remember the pale cream,
The big blossoms with the
Rosy, sunset highlights at the center.

One day as I sat there, thinking,
Wondering about the blossoms and
Their strange, uncertain, fragrance,
A creamy petal fell next to my hand.

It lay there, beautiful but still,
Like some forlorn and delicate corpse
Too soon released from life, too young.
And I wondered at a thought within my mind.

"God knows it lies there, it does not
Fall without his knowledge, or plan."
And then I knew. It is his creation,
Part of his plan, and I was comforted.

Looking back on that time and place,
I know He holds my heart, and knows
Each need, each plan and desire.
He will lead me where my life will
Bring him honor, will make me like his Son.

He speaks to me from his word,
"Be content to serve, Content to walk
Upon the road I give you."
He is leading me, readying me to be light.

So here I stand, a woman.
Knowing there is struggle and Pain that
Suffering and sorrow mark the road ahead.
And I am confident, I will not back down
Because God holds me here, firm in Christ.
He has placed me where I am, to shine.

No comments: